Wednesday, October 27, 2010

So what's this all about then?

When deciding to set up my blog, I was very aware that there are already many green blogs published and going strong, therefore what was going to make mine any different? A fair question to ask (I think).

I’ve always been conscious and respectful of the environment, but it is only really in the last three years that I have graduated to the status of environmentalist or eco-warrior (happily self-appointed might I add!). Whilst my primary concern is the environment (and all that encompasses), I’m equally concern with and interested in getting other people as interested and excited about the environment as I am.  Like any religious fanatic (should?) know berating and guilt-tripping people has the exact opposite effect of recruiting them to your cause and environmentalist are just as likely to commit the same sin.  I would rather lead by example. They say actions speak louder than words, so I came to the conclusion that by simply being me and me being green, I might hopefully inspire people to follow in my footsteps.

I believe that we can start to win our battle against climate change and all environmental disasters with the simple process of sharing information and knowledge.  What I have come across is not a resistance to environmentalism, but rather the opposite. People are willing and eager to do their bit, but sometimes they simply don’t know how or lack the facts.  Sounds too simple, right? Well as my father always told me Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS).

Therefore while I was musing about all this, I got to thinking; everyone everyday is probably doing one good green deed a day without realising it, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant, because it is the small things that make a bigger difference. And that’s when I had my light-bulb moment; the blog’s concept! One good green deed everyday!

Think about it in terms of ants; a single ant doesn’t seem like much (although it is a well know fact that ants can lift 20 times their own body weight, but I digress). Now think of 700,000 or a million ants all working together towards a common goal…Your one good green action; turning the TV off stand-by, deciding to take the bus instead of the car is one ant.  Your next door neighbor also decides not to take the car, or maybe offers you a car-pool, their action is also one ant. Then imagine all your neighbors on your street doing small ant actions; turning off lights, recycling a glass bottle, growing their own, etc. Your whole street swarming with ant actions and then before you know it, the whole city and then the world!

My goal with this blog is to record and inspire little good deeds each and every single day. I want to help people realize their good green deeds and expand them further, onwards and upwards. I hope to provide somewhere where people can become motivated and inspired and to create a directory for ideas and resources.  I hope that Me eco You eco will become people’s one-stop-shop for current and long term ideas about good green deeds mixed in with a bit of random wonderfulness from around the world, because at the end of the day our world is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment