Sunday, November 07, 2010

Gardens and Discoveries

So the Scottish weather took pity on me today and stayed dry so I could go and check out the garden I have been assigned through Edinburgh Garden Share scheme (picture below). Yes it is over-grown, over-run, under-loved and has loads of blueberry bushes but that doesn't scare me!  Think how exciting it'll be when its all cleared away and; well to sound like the city girl I am, I am looking forward to reaping what I sow. So watch this space!

In other 'news' today, slightly horrified by my picture from yesterday I decided that after six loyal years of service, my poor old pinkish tartan coat had best retire (actually I have plans to recycle it into an exciting and totally unique hat with the help and creative talent from Merrimaking.co.uk). Therefore...new coat and I was very happy when I chanced upon a gorgeous and eco-friendly coat from Green with Envy. But what interested me more was their claim that they donate 1% of their yearly earnings to 1% For The Planet.

Intrigued I wanted to know more; I found out that 1% For The Planet is a growing global movement which asks companies to donate 1% of their sales to a vetted network of environmental organizations from around the world. On their website you can search their member (companies) and non-profit organizations databases to see who is signed up. I was delighted when I found out that Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation and Bug Life were some of the environmental organizations signed-up in the UK. These two charities are particularly close to my heart and I donate to both of them.  The list was massive though and I think it will keep me very busy indeed for weeks to come; I'm particularly interested in finding out more about Surfers Against Sewage.

I also searched the members (companies) database and while the list is commendable, I was slightly disappointed that I did not recognize any of the names on the list and none of the huge conglomerates were members. You'd think that 1% would simply be a drop of water for them to donate from the ocean of their profits. Hmmm..me thinks a letter is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment