Monday, November 29, 2010

What a wonderful world we live in!

The National Geographic is currently having a photo competition with a beautiful selection of photographs from all over the world. They've divided the photos into three galleries; People, Places and Nature and you have a chance to vote for your favorites.  You can win up to $10,000 (!) and your picture featured in their magazine. Deadline for submissions is November 30th 2010. I better tell my sister quick as she is an ace photographer. If you want to check out her stuff: CLICK HERE
For more information about the competition CLICK HERE
To vote for your favorite pictures CLICK HERE

I've a very visual person, therefore it would only be natural that I sometimes think that pictures do say it better than words, especially in reminding us what a beautiful, vibrant and creative planet we live on. Below I have picked out some of my favorite photos from the competition and briefly explained why (so you can get to know me better!). 

Birds
Thanks to my boyfriend, Alex, who is an avid birdwatcher, in the last few years I've really started to appreciate the beauty of birds and marvel at the vast species there are.  I'm actually becoming pretty good at identifying some! 

 Photo by Min-hsiung Huang

Photo by Linh Dinh
Photo by Glen Hush
Photo by Williams Perera
Water
Growing up in Greece you're never far from the ocean and even today the ocean and all its inhabitants hold a special place in my heart. I particularly love whales.
Photo by Simon Pidcock
Photo by Freddy Cerdeira

Dolphin alert

Photo by João Vianna

Natural Phenomenon
These pictures below can be very scary and daunting, reminding us at the power and force of nature. They also show us the delicate ever present beauty of nature. Creatures, places, colour combinations we never could have dreamt of. 

Supercell Thunderstorm

Photo and caption by Sean Heavey
A supercell thunderstorm rolls across the Montana prairie at sunset.

Praying Mantis - Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii

Photo by Fred Turck

Gecko on Oahu, Hawaii

Photo by Melissa Hamblin


The Birth Of Earth

Photo and caption by Terje Sorgjerd
Getting close or getting too close? Photo taken of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption that would grind most of europe air traffic. This is the scariest moment in my life, and also the most beautiful and frightening display of raw force I have ever seen.

Human Kindness
The captions say it all...

Shy love, Japan.

Photo and caption by Laura Loss
This traditionally dressed couple was walking a few meters ahead of me in Yohohama, Japan. They caught my attention because physical contact in public is not a common thing in Japan, and they were holding hands (fingers) so sweetly..

The Music Of Love

Photo and caption by Ario Wibisono
This picture was taken in Tenganan Village, Bali (2010). Tenganan is the most famous Bali Aga (original Balinese) village and is located close to Candi Dasa in East Bali. A man was playing bamboo music to entertain a disabled child which is not his son, but he loves this child likes he loves his own son.

No comments:

Post a Comment