Monday, December 27, 2010

Books, Glorious Books!

Following on from the last post, let's talk about books. As I said I'm an avid bookworm and love reading and as you might guess I am not a fan of the Kindles or those electronic books. I like physically holding books, fingering the next page, seeing what's left in excited anticipation. As most bookworms, I smell newly acquired books.  Being a very visual person, the design of a book is very important to me; I'm always tempted to buy a book I already have just because I like the different re-print of the cover.  I love the way books look on a bookshelf. Try doing all that mr.electronic book - bah! 

Therefore please let me introduce you to one of my favorite website: BOOKMOOCH! Bookmooch is an online community for exchanging books that you don't want anymore for those you do for free! As a member you create an inventory of books you have to give away as well as a wish-list for books you want. Bookmooch lets people know when their desired books are listed, giving them the chance to mooch them from other members who send them the books via post. Its worldwide and in different languages. Bookmooch also operates on a system of points to prevent perpetual moochers; you receive points for sending books and are deducted points when mooching books (don't worry, its pretty straightforward). You can also donate your points to different charities listed on the site (or you can nominate one of your own) in order for them to mooch more books for their causes.

Why I love Bookmooch?
The ideas behind Bookmooch warms my heart and makes me feel all happy and fuzzy inside; here are the reason why I love Bookmooch:
1. No waste thinking - one reader's trash is another's treasure.
2. Its so simple (not only in operation but in concept)
3. A global community of bookworms
4. Promotes the use of snail mail - who doesn't like getting a package through the mailbox?
5. Free books!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rea! Just got into reading your blog, very interesting but I felt I had to make a comment about the Kindle. I'm also a bookworm as you know and enjoy the feel, smell, illustrations as much as I enjoy reading the actual text. It was only this Christmas when my boyfriend got a Kindle that I was actually turned around on the idea of e-books, his point and a very valid one which I believe you will agree with, is that not only can you have a portable database of literally thousands of books at your fingertips it is also HIGHLY more ecological as there is no need for paper, hence no cutting of trees for this purpose etc.

    I admit I hadn't thought of this aspect at all, but it is a very heavy argument in favour. Another aspect is how much cheaper it is to download a book on the Kindle, one of my main beefs against publishing houses and bookstores is that I believe the price of books is way too high in general, reading should be encouraged and made accessible to entire population and one way is by lowering the cost of books.

    Having said all this, I hope that books will never be replaced permanently, but I think that the trend will become that people will only buy books that they love and want to physically have on their bookcases and read time and time again and download the rest for reading once (much like we do with movies and music nowadays).

    Anyway, that's my 2 cents in, keep up the good work and keep posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina!

    I agree that Kindles do have loads of bonuses, such as a gazillion of books in one place, the download option and cheaper access to books, but in terms of eco-friendliness I have to admit that traditional books and Kindles are probably at a tie.

    Where Kindles save on paper, they use up in energy because they need to be recharged to function. Both formats probably use a lot of energy and resources in their production, but in the end it is probably easier and less toxic to recycle a book then a Kindle. I guess in the end again it is down to individual life-style choices - there is no reason to berate someone as not being eco-friendly for having a Kindle but you're always jetting off to far away destinations on a jumbo jet (I think we can figure out which decisions cause more harm in this instance!).

    But I have to say that I 101% agree with your sentiments that books should be accessible to all for free - hence why I love public libraries. Thanks so much for your comment and support and keep reading (books, blogs and Kindles!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very keen on bookmooch and on reuse of resources. Kindle makes reuse difficult - you buy a book but you can't then sell/swap/give it away.
    However, I arrived here because I'm just about to reuse a padded bag which you sent to me (with a book in it) to send another book off to someone who wants it rather than into recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madelaine,
    Thanks for the visit and am so please to hear my little envelope will be used to send someone else the pleasure of books!
    Keep recycling and hope you enjoyed the book too :)
    Thanks, Rea

    ReplyDelete