Monday, April 11, 2011

Reuse and recycle that poster!

You know all those now iconic posters from World War II (both British and American); Rosie the Riveter and Make Do and Mend...I was thinking recently that many of the messages in those posters (use less, don't waste, repair, grow your own food, travel less) are easily and obviously relevant to our problems and solutions against climate change now. And remember the battle was won in WWII and from the devastation great things were created, most notably free public health services. Why can this not be emulated today? There was once hope and determination and this lead to success. Is it not said at nausea that "history repeats itself"? This surely must be true for the good as for the bad? We can do it again?

Seems I'm not the only one who had the same idea. Today I came across the Green Patriot Poster Project whose mission is just that; getting the green message out by inspiring and thanks to the medium of the modern equivalent of the iconic WWII poster.

They have an excellent website where you can view and vote for your favorite posters and it is truly inspiring to see the large amount of passion and talent dedicated to the green movement through the medium of art. Contributors range from established artists to emerging artists and students. They also have an excellent selection of the genuine WWII posters as their point of inspiration and these can be view by CLICKING HERE.

They have also recently published a book featuring some of the more rousing and inspiring selection of poster and you can find out more about it and buy it by CLICKING HERE.

Below I've selected some of my favorites.
by retrofuturs
I like the way this poster mixes old and new - the vintage image of the pin-up with the modern frustration of a loading bar, only this is one we should best avoid getting to the end of.
by seek&speak
 Perfect example of the reworked war poster - I think this one is excellent.
by gchung
I choose this one, not only because I think it is visually provocative, but because this issue of rising coast lines is still an issue that people aren't aware of or don't appreciate the severity and increasing possibility of. Many still consider it an abstract concept of the very far future, when the reality is closer than we think. (Although the artist admits the landmass is exaggerated in this image).
by Bags of Joy (http://www.bagsofjoy.net/)
As you might of noticed from previous post marine conservation is very important to me. This poster nicely juxtaposes over-fishing with the old saying 'Plenty of Fish in the Sea' - not anymore if we keep going at it like we are!
by gchung
I am obsessed by public transport and specifically underground transport. Whenever I visit a new city I have to ride its metro system. Hence I am equally obsessed with underground maps - they can be beautiful and fascinating things and like this poster turned into an abstract design.
by seed
A very important and simply message, lifted almost verbatim from the WWII posters themselves. I choose this particular one as I liked the simplicity and the Scandinavian feel to it.
by dgutierr
I am a child of the eighties and this poster make me think of the eighties. I also like it as it is very much unforgivingly in your face but equally humours. Whilst its great to focus on the positive, sometimes a sharp reminder of the negative is just as much an incentive.  
by estraire
Something that is forgotten and taken for granted all too much. The one single thing we do have in common, despite age, race, gender, sexuality, religion, whatever is that we all live on this one planet, we all call it home and we're all connected because of it.  
by ahamilton
I am queen of to do list, so obviously this poster was going to appeal to me. Perhaps something we can all partake in :)
by David CaVal
And finally yes it is fragile but it is beautiful and wonderfully magical like the soap bubble or the spider's web shimmering in the sun-light and this is what we should remember when we ask ourselves why we bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment