Saturday, September 03, 2011

The art of co-habitation

So my sister, whose a photographer, gave me a sneak preview of some of her new photographs she's been taking of still lives and nature and I was blow away by them. For those of us with art sensibilities they have a strong resonance of the painter Mark Rothko. But more than that they got me thinking about a few things in terms of co-habitation and the nature of nature (yes I did say it).

The first thing it made me think about is with our amazing modern technology, our advances in visual imagery and image manipulation, we tend to forget how awesome (in the true sense of the word!) nature continues to be and silently and stoically so. And it is its simplicity and modesty that is most incredible, all it needs is someone to come along and notice, like my sister has. Its been said before, but all we all need, once and a while, is to 'unplug' and take a look around.

The possibilities and imagination of what nature is and can achieve, not only visually but metaphysically is incredible. This is something I've mentioned before and continues to fascinate me. You can check out my previous posts about the world's oldest living things (CLICK HERE), the amazing creatures that lie beneath (CLICK HERE), my recent fascination with moths (CLICK HERE) as well as some general wonderfulness from the world (CLICK HERE).

The other thing it made me think about is the co-habitation of man and nature. There are different perspectives (which even myself I swing to and from); humans as virus, apocalyptic predictions of the reclaiming on nature on man's ruins, etc. but one that is often overlook or forgotten is our co-habitation now. This loosely relates with the beauty of industrialization, but my sister's photography reminded me that beauty is possible between the human and natural world if we take the time to find its prescences. There is beauty in the natural decay of things, beauty in the jarring contrasts between extreme opposites.

Heavy stuff perhaps for a a Saturday, but perhaps my leaving message is that (pun intended) we sometimes can't see the forest for the leaves. It is important to conserve nature and respect it and reduce our destruction on it, but let us not forget to enjoy it while we our here in the present and to remember the good we do do while we are on the planet and the unintentional beauty we create.

Below I've included some of my favorite photographs, enjoy! Ps- if anyone can guess what the last one is...then I'll think up of a prize cause you would have deserved it! (My family members are disqualified from this competition!)

To see more of Helen Cris, my sister's photography please check out her website by CLICKING HERE
To like her facebook page please CLICK HERE.

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

copyright Helen Cris

No comments:

Post a Comment