Many people fear risotto and its high standards and capricious demands, but with this recipe you need not fear risotto anymore! Get ready to get tucked into some tastiness!
Serves four people
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: At least 30 minutes but get ready to be in there for the long haul, but trust me it's worth it!
Ingredients and Preparation
1.5 litres or 6 cups of vegetable stock
500ml or 2 cups white wine
2 tablespoons of olive oil
60gr or 1/4 cup butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves grated
1 kg or 2lbs of mushrooms sliced (or whatever's available in the veg box)
500g or 1lb Arborio rice
180grs or 3/4 cups of grated Parmesan
and for those who like it chopped fresh parsley
1. Place the stock and wine in a pot, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover to simmer.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in another pot and add onions and garlic and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft and golden.
3. Add mushrooms to onions and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes or until tender.
4. Add rice to onions and mushrooms and stir until translucent.
5. From the first pot into the rice pot, add small amounts of stock while stirring the rice constantly over a medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Continuing adding small amounts of stock for 20-25 minutes or until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender and creamy in texture. This is where you need to have patience and strength in your arms. My rule of thumb is if in doubt, stir some more, it won't hurt. It's hot and hard work but totally worth the effort!
6. Stir in Parmesan and heat for one minute or until all cheese is melted.
7. Dish up, garnish with parsley and more cheese and tuck in, you deserve it!
|This is step four (not quite translucent yet!) - I added some leeks to my dish as I had some, |
so feel free to experiment once you're feeling confident!